(The following is the complete information in our Prospectus. Application is to be made through Online Juried Shows)
2023 Pacific Northwest Plein Air in the Columbia River Gorge Prospectus
April 24–27, 2023
at Maryhill Museum of Art, 35 Maryhill Museum Drive, Goldendale, WA 98620
Maryhill Museum of Art is located in an expansive and inspiring location, high above the Columbia River in south-central Washington State: www.maryhiillmuseum.org.
In 2023, Pacific Northwest Plein Air moves to springtime. Come and paint on the green hills and among the many wildflowers of the Columbia River Gorge. The museum will be exhibiting plein air works for most of May: April 30–May 29, 2023 (the Tuesday after Memorial Day).
Pacific Northwest Plein Air in the Columbia River Gorge on Facebook:
http://www.pacificnwpa.com to see photos of past events and updated information.
2023 ARTIST CALENDAR:
Online Call for Artists
Begins: Monday, October 3, 2022
Closes: Monday, December 5, 2022, at midnight
Notification of artists (by email from Online Juried Shows): Monday, December 19, 2022.
- Paint dates: Monday, April 24, through Thursday, April 27, 4:00 p.m. deadline.
- First day meet and greet: Monday April 24, 8:00 a.m., on the Hood River waterfront.
- Drop Off Work: Thursday April 27, 4:00 p.m. Work should be dropped off in the Mary & Bruce Stevenson Wing at Maryhill Museum of Art. A map will be provided.
- Informal artist social/deadline celebration for artists: Thursday, April 27, after 4:00 p.m. in Maryhill Museum’s café or outdoor plaza.
- Show exhibit dates: Sunday, April 30–Monday, May 29, 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. daily.
- Pick up work: Tuesday, May 30, 10:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m., in the M.J. Murdoch Charitable Trust Education Center at Maryhill Museum of Art.
Juror Workshop: Lori Putnam, https://loriputnam.com/
Friday, April 28, 2023, at a location TBD (details forthcoming).
1) First Place
2) Second Place
3) Third Place
4–7) Four (4) Honorable Mentions
8) Best Sky
9) Best Mountain
10) Best Water
11) Best Cultural Element
12) Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area Award
13) Friends of the Columbia Gorge Award
14) Maryhill Award
15) Museum Purchase Award(s)
Approx. 25 artists will be selected from Online Juried Shows to participate in this event. Jurying through onlinejuriedshows.com is done by a three-person selection committee. You will be notified of acceptance via email. Notification of artists by email is scheduled for Monday, December 19, 2022.
The application/entry fee is $50.00 per artist. Please submit four (4) images of your best plein air work. The entry fee contributes to awards for the artists and show expenses (including marketing, venue, and jurying fees).
ENTERING DIGITAL IMAGES:
- To participate, enter your best plein air work for selection consideration.
- The entry form must be filled out in its entirety, including unframed dimensions/size.
- Submitted images must not show matting or frame. Please crop your photos to include only the artwork.
- Please ensure that all images are right-side-up.
- For best results, make sure your image is 1920 pixels @ 72 dpi on the longest side. Images should be in JPEG format and sRGB color space. Images should be under 4 mb.
- For assistance in photographing your work and properly sizing your images, visit www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx.
- If you need help entering your images or are unable to forward them, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 949-287-8645.
AWARDS JUROR—Lori Putnam
Read about Lori on the “Biography” page of her website: https://loriputnam.com/bio
WORKSHOP WITH LORI PUTNAM
Date: Friday, April 28, 2023
Workshop Fee: TBD
Maximum Participants: TBD
Registration Contact to sign up: TBD
Deadline for Submitting Competition Entries
You may enter only plein air work that has been completed during the four-day paint-out, Monday, April 24, through Thursday, April 27, 2023.
Maximum size of work: 72” total unframed perimeter dimension. For example, a 16” x 20” work = 72” total perimeter dimension (32” + 40”). Any combination that totals 72″ or less is acceptable. Larger works will not be accepted.
Work must be delivered ready for hanging by Thursday, April 27, 2023, at 4:00 p.m. No saw-tooth hangers. Please use D-rings and wire as hanging hardware.
Artists may enter up to four (4) paintings to be hung in the show and all must be available for sale. Two (2) alternate works will be accepted to replace sold work, for a total of six (6) paintings submitted.
DROP OFF LOCATION AND HOURS: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 4:00 p.m.
Maryhill Museum of Art
35 Maryhill Museum Drive
Goldendale, WA 98620
Work should be dropped off at the Mary & Bruce Stevenson Wing at Maryhill Museum of Art. Access is at the end of the museum’s service road (just west of the public entrance road). A map will be provided.
Sales at the event will be managed by Maryhill Museum of Art. The commission is 60% Artist–40% Maryhill Museum of Art. Commissions help underwrite the museum’s annual exhibitions and programs.
Artists make their own housing arrangements. If they wish to stay or camp in the Columbia Gorge, there are many options for hotels, hostels, and camping in Goldendale, WA, The Dalles, OR, Hood River, OR, and elsewhere.
If you are painting or camping at a state park, there may be a parking or use fee. Please check these websites for more information:
We have an event photographer; images of work or painters may be used in current or future advertising.
Maryhill Museum of Art, its sponsors, staff, and volunteers, will not be responsible for any theft, loss, incident, accident, or legal situations to the artist, artwork, and/or personal property before, during, or after the competition. Artists are responsible for providing any or all insurance or to cover themselves, their artwork, and/or their property. Maryhill Museum of Art will not be responsible for any artwork left, not picked-up, or arranged for pick-up/delivery by the artist. Artists are responsible to ask and receive permission to paint private property where needed and should not otherwise trespass on private property. Artists entering this event are painting at their own risk. Maryhill Museum of Art, the artists, staff, volunteers, and sponsors of this event are not responsible for any accidents, personal injury, loss or damage which occurs during this event.
Thank you for entering Pacific Northwest Plein Air in the Columbia River Gorge! Maryhill Museum of Art is excited to host the event again this year. Situated at the eastern end of the Gorge, we can assure you that the views at and around the museum are breathtaking.